Pritong Tokwa't Baboy (Fried Tofu and Pork)

by - Wednesday, December 03, 2014


This dish is one of the Filipino's favorites.
Pritong Tokwa't Baboy (Fried Tofu and Pork)
Tokwa’t Baboy literally means Tofu & Pork in English. This Filipino dish is one of my favorite and same with other filipino. This is also easy to cook and prepare. The Tokwa’t Baboy contain pig ears, snout and other parts of pig’s face.

The pig ears and snout are not easy to buy because you have to buy the whole head of pig here in our place and since I’’ll just use the small part of pork I chose the belly instead. Most of the Tokwa’t Baboy dish, the Pork is boiled and then fried but in my case I fried it directly in a medium heat since I want it to be crunchy and I want the natural flavors to come out.

This is a perfect appetizer with Congee which we call Lugaw here in the Philippines. And for those who love beer, they matched it with Tokwa’t Baboy as “pulutan”.

Tofu has a lot of benefits for all of us and can substitute for meat. So if you are a vegetarian then don’t skip this one because you can match this to whatever dish you want to cook like Tofu with Broccoli Stir Fry.

Watch the video here:


Here are the ingredients:
  • 1/2 kg pork belly
  • 5 pieces of tofu
  • 1 onion
  • 3/4 cup vinegar
  • 3 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1/2 tsp brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup cooking oil
  • red chili

For ingredients:
  • Pork belly & Tofu - I did not slice the Pork and I fried it directly to the pre-heated cooking oil and when it’s done slice it into cubes.
  • Onion - chop finely and set aside.
  • vinegar, soy sauce, salt and brown sugar - the measure of the vinegar depends on one’s taste so make sure to add slowly and just add some more of vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce and sugar after you’ve tasted it.
Optional Process:
Well, this is actually an optional process to do because I prefer to do this to make sure that my pork is tasty and well cleaned. Pork has a smell so I don’t want it and to remove that fishy smell I spread salt all over the Pork meat until the smell is vanished or the greasy is gone.

Then wash it a little in water so the taste will still remain and you don’t need to put salt anymore.

Here is how to cook this:
  1. Pour cooking oil separately in a heated pan and then fry Tofu & Pork until they become golden brown
  2. After frying them, prepare a bowl and combine Chopped Tofu & Pork, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, salt, pepper and onion
  3. Mix them well and add red chili if it is needed.
That’s it and enjoy cooking this side dish.


You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. AnonymousMay 25, 2015

    I like the sauce tamang tama yung tamis, i've tried this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anon thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete